Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Unknown challenges

I have been thinking about the 1/2 marathon and the actual distance I have to run. I have been really good about my training and running my miles. I'm worried about the actual course for this race. I have no idea what the landscape looks like. I have heard that it is hilly and that I should train accordingly. But what does that mean in reality - hilly. Are there rolling hills? Are there steep hills? Is there one hill and then flat terrain for the next mile? Argh. The unknown sucks.

If you're a close friend of mine, you know that I like to be prepared. But the flip side of that is if you know what you are truly getting into, would it even be a challenge at that point? Part of me wants to drive the course and see what I'm in for. The other part wants me to train as if I had to run up hill for 13.1 miles. At that point, wouldn't I be ready for anything? Would the actual course be a surprise and a unknown challenge?

I'm going to hold off on knowing the landscape of the actual course. I'll let you know how that goes :)

No comments: